Monday, October 17, 2011

Bad, bad bicycle!

Yes, this is a "go and stand in the corner, bicycle" post.  A few years back I bought a brand spankin' new bicycle (at Walmart, though I hate them but they are the only game in the nearby town) and all was happiness.

Then, since this is the desert, it got sunburned, and the tires went flat, which I fixed with "green slime" - yes, it's really called that - and with hard inner-tubes when the slime did not work forever.

I took a couple of long rides. Long, for me, is several hours, not Tour de France. Most of the time my trips go from the barn to the house and back. But I love my bicycle rides; they make me laugh!

Then, one day recently, came the big betrayal: I was merrily pedaling away (to the house) and the front wheel locked up! I wasn't thrown off, but forward, and the tire made a two to three foot groove in the dirt road. It was such shock and felt like so... personal.

I have no solution to that incident, but it hasn't happened again after the "bearings were backed off and it shouldn't happen again", but I still get that feeling that it could. Could it?

No comments: