Friday, November 4, 2011

Limping to Nirvana

That's one of  the sayings of my yoga teacher after any of our more challenging classes. It has also become one of my repetitive thoughts, as I go through any attempt at "bettering myself" AKA "You are going to regret this before you like it".  Ayeii!

Why is there always a price to be paid for any activity we do because it's GOOD for us? Why can't we just go through what's going to make us so virtuous or healthy or... I guess even... more insightful (?) and then get our "dessert".  Huh?  Huh?

Say I'm trying to reach my toes while not bending my knees. That's important, right...?  So I stretch, and pull my hamstring, and then I'm in pain for the next few months.  Where's my cookie?  Yeah, after all that I CAN reach my toes. Eh.

Or I go through a heartbreak of one sort or the other, and it hurts and hurts. One day I am "better", and it doesn't hurt much anymore, which is important to know.  But still no cookie.

I put in the work. I suffered the pain. Can I please have a cookie?   :)

No yoga picture. Here's one of a Cholla cactus - pleasure and pain, I suppose.
.
.
 

.

No comments: